Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Belize Baby


About a few weeks ago MJ and I got to sneak away for a little rest and relaxation in Central America. We went to Ambergris Caye, an island off the coast of Belize. It seemed like the perfect quick getaway, only two and a half hours from Houston and it boasts the largest barrier reef in this hemisphere. A reef means diving and I am all about scuba diving.

Ironically, the week before we left I caught a cold. I did everything to rid myself of it. I told myself it was gone when we left. But when our plane descended and I was having to stand on my head to keep my ears from exploding, I realized that there might be some trouble ahead with the diving agenda. Still I took some decongestant the next morning and jumped in the water, but alas I was too congested to equalize my ears. MJ finished out the dive and I sat on the boat and got seasick and barfed breakfast over the edge a few times. What a crappy start to a vacation! But the trip did get enormously better and I was able to snorkel our last day at aptly named Shark Ray Alley where we saw tons of nurse sharks and sting rays and turtles. It was amazing. Michael, who hates snorkeling because he has no fat on him to keep afloat, finally put on a life jacket and I think kind of enjoyed it too.


We also went to the mainland one day and did some cave tubing and ziplining in the jungle with a very interesting couple we met on the tour. We were fast friends by the day's end. She was from Seattle; he was from South Africa. They live in Nigeria and had all sorts of interesting stories.

The resort was very lovely and honeymooners abounded. The island was quite small so we biked around most of it. How fun it was to bike everywhere! I so loved it. It's such a simple and quaint concept to be able to bike everywhere you need to go. Granted, we didn't have the kids with us. I can't imagine how biking everywhere would work in real life with having to pack around three kiddos in Texas heat. I'm going to pass out just thinking about it.

We also went to church while we were there and it reminded me of those small branches where I served in Portugal. The members in Ambergis Caye meet on the third floor of a building right off the main street. There was no AC so we sat dripping sweat with a couple of ineffective fans but about twenty stalwart members who were so very friendly and welcoming. It was wonderful and funny to be there. The customs and habits are so different and I could only smile as we sat in Relief Society with six sisters, two of whom were drinking bottles of Coca Cola while the teacher taught the lesson. It makes me laugh. Wouldn't I love to try that here in good ol TX? I love it.

Oh and the other thing that I have to divulge to all of you North American Mormons is that in Central America, Church is only two hours long. What!? Yes, I kid you not. They have given Sunday School the axe. I'm not saying it's a good idea or not. I'm just passing on some info in case you might need to move to Belize immediately after reading this.

It's English speaking too by the way.

1 comment:

Lena said...

Sounds like WAY TOO MUCH FUN! Even church sounded like fun!