Sunday, September 6, 2009

Go Cougars!

Last night Michael and I and his family went to the new Cowboys Stadium to see BYU play Oklahoma. First of all, this stadium is incredible. There's a reason it's nicknamed the Death Star. It's an indoor arena with a roof that opens up and it is humongous. The jumbotron itself is amazing....even if it can be hit by punts and cost $2 mil to fix. Oops.

Going in, I didn't have a lot of faith. I was nervous for the cougars. I just wanted them not to lose too badly. Michael says OU's coach can be classless in running up the score when OU is winning. This I did not want for my poor cougars. I also was expecting a few more BYU fans. Out of around 75,000 people there, 70,000 of them were in crimson, 5,000 were in blue and one brave woman who married into an OU family was in burnt orange. I hope she made it out of there safely.

This game was the most thrilling game ever! We were few but we were intense. As we began watching the game unfold, we were nervous. But then the defense held. We started hoping...cautiously, anxiously. Then before long we were jumping up and down, screaming, chanting, waving, agonizing and finally exulting. It was over the top. I've always claimed I don't care much for football. I will now eat those words.



As an aside, I would say that most of the OU fans were very gracious and classy. Numerous people afterwards congratulated us and wished us a safe trip. It's nice to know that despite cheering madly for opposing teams during a game, when it's all over people can still get along.

6 comments:

Katie said...

That's great you got to go! Luke was there with his parents, too. I heard my mother-in-law was over the top with excitement. That I would have liked to see! She told me the big screen there was 160' by 72'. What the heck? They mentioned the classiness of the OU fans and were also congratulated on the way out. Go cougars!

Tara said...

That is so great! And looks like you were kid-free for a few hours, which is another bonus. Did you count the number of times that Stoops threw his visor down?

Here's looking forward to what should be another interesting year in college football.

V&SLaJeunesse said...

GO COUGARS!!! I'm jealous you got to be there! How fun! I'm planning on going to the BYU/UNM game, but that won't be quite as exciting...

Kathy said...

The Cowboys got a new stadium? My family must be so thrilled. Me? I don't care. I'm a California girl who thinks football is barbaric, but I am out numbered by my Texans at heart living in the heart of California family!

Anonymous said...

There was at least 10K fans in blue don't you think?!?!?!?!? Joel

Lena said...

WHAT AN AWESOME GAME TO GO TO!!!! I am completely jealous! We were traveling and Ryan kept updating the score every 90 seconds on his phone--that's aobut as intense as we get!!!