Sunday, January 17, 2010

Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeams Teacher

I was just released a couple of weeks ago as a family history consultant and called as a Primary worker, specifically the Sunbeams teacher.

It's fun to be back in Primary. I've done everything in the presidency but I've never been a Primary teacher. I'm excited for the opportunity. I think you really get a unique chance to connect with the kids when you're their teacher. I'm also so happy and relieved not to have been called as the choir pianist, which happens to be on my never, ever or I may have to go inactive list.

There are 8 Sunbeams that are likely to show on any given Sunday. My first two weeks I had 4 in my class, 2 boys, 2 girls. It was quite fun and easy. We had snacks. We went for a walk in our Sunbeam choo-choo-train formation and got lots of drinks at the water fountain. We did wiggle songs. We had a lesson and craft.

This Sunday was different.

There were 7 Sunbeams today, 5 of them boys. Here's a little visual for you of my class today:

Ok, I wasn't wacking the kids. But it did feel remarkably like a game of wac-a-mole.

I separated J1 and W from their wrestlemania tournament on the floor only to find that E is crawling underneath chairs.

J2 is pilfering through my bag.

C is having a spitting contest with J1 now.

W is on the run again.

S is sitting quietly in her chair.

K is giggling and running around.

E and J1 and J2 and W and C are going five different directions.

And now for the lesson. Oh wait. W and J1 think it's wrestlemania time again.

Did I mention the walk to the drinking fountain that ended in a 100-yard free-for-all dash to tag the Primary room door and then roll around on the floor?

I even had a parent in there with me. It's not like I wasn't prepared either. I had a schedule that included snacks, a walk, fun songs, a lesson with lots of visuals, coloring, etc. But I might as well have been talking to the ceiling or maybe just S. I think she was the only one who listened or sat for more than 15 seconds straight.

I felt completely incompetent. I thought about doing the 100-yard dash out the door myself. What happened to those cushy days in Relief Society, playing around on my iPhone? I never quite appreciated the boredom as I should have.

I'm determined to get this right. Any helpful hints out there that don't include tying them to their seats or letting them tie me up and swing from the chandelier?

6 comments:

Mia said...

Well, it is still January so these are NEW sunbeams. Give it a month or so for them to learn the routine. Because you sound like you were very prepared. You could also bring a bag of M&M's that they earn one at a time. One for singing during singing time. One for walking nicely in the hallway. ECT.. Although I've never actually tried this with kids that young so who knows. Have fun ;)

Kathy said...

Wow. Yah, I taught primary for 6 years, but have never had the pleasure of teaching the Sunbeams. But having a kid who just left Sunbeams and a brand spanking new Sunbeam.....I can feel your pain. I wish I had words of wisdom for you, but I don't! Give me a call if you ever teach CTR 8 or older! Good luck to ya!!

Lena said...

You must be a near-celestial being because every sunbeam teacher I know is headed straight to the celestial kingdom! Similar to Mia's idea, Indi had a sunbeam teacher(who is now Walker's pre-k teacher) who had a puppet named Mr. Happy. Mr. Happy would come out and give the kids one m&m when they were on task. Great motivation for a 3 yr old...we hear lots about mr. happy around here.

Tiffany said...

Or you could just hide high-quality chocolate (bribery for YOU) and a bottle of diet Coke (or some other form of liquid courage) in your bag, as a reward for YOURSELF for making it through class time! Aah... "new" Sunbeams--bless their hearts.

Maren and Dustin said...

Sounds like you're "nursery mode" is your best bet while your little ones figure out this new "primary" thing. But it sounds like you just had a rough day! I bet you're such an awesome Sunbeam teacher...and I agree- treats for the teacher, too!

Jamie Martin said...

I think you'll get it just fine, Kasey, and everyone is right when they say the sunbeams come in rare form in January (and maybe February).

I've had that job a time or two, so if you still need ideas:

pray

waddle like ducks, or tiptoe, or swim like fish whenever you all walk anywhere

pray again

whisper the directions that are really important

keep on singing

don't stop praying

give each child a job (light switch, line leader, carry chalk bag, etc)