Monday, June 2, 2008

She Flies Through the Air With the Greatest of Ease

I'm thinking of changing the name of my blog. How about "My Other Job Is With the Circus"? Yep, I've decided to travel down a whole new avenue....trapeze artist.

Here's what I did on Saturday night:




So Michael got this great idea for us to learn how to fly on the trapeze. The Crossings Hotel had a trapeze group there for a few weeks that was offering trapeze classes. Michael, of course, was peeing his pants he was so excited. I, however, am a little--shall we say "uncomfortable"--with heights and wasn't quite so enthused. I kept trying to get out of it. No such luck.

We arrived at the class and they started us off on the low bar. You have to grab the bar, wrap your legs around, drop your arms, etc. Just the basic playground stuff. We all got one shot to do that and then they explained how we were going to do this at 50 feet in the air.

Before I knew it, I was climbing up a very narrow ladder to a very small platform and trying not to look down. Granted, there's a net below and once you reach the top, they hook the safety wires onto your harness. Still, we're talking 50 feet in the air leaning forward with your toes over the edge. That was definitely the scariest part. Once I hopped over the edge and started flying, it was fun.

We got to do two runs on the trapeze and then they let us try the catch, which is where another person catches you in midair.





Ooops. How embarrassing. Somebody was supposed to spin around in midair and catch the return trapeze. Maybe I'd better stick with the CIA. I guess it's not bad for my first time though.

So now that my feet are firmly planted on the ground, I can say I'm glad that I tried it. I did something that scares me and am now a little less scared...hopefully.

By the way, for all you ladies out there, the best part is that it's the closest thing you'll get to having a "rescued-by-Superman" moment. You're flying in the air, feeling a little nervous and vulnerable, when suddenly a buff, handsome man rescues you and says, "Come with me." I was like, "Ok, whatever you say."

5 comments:

Wendy said...

You're awesome! You're my hero! I wish I could do something like that! Maybe next time you could get the whole spandex outfit and a cape---that would be so cool!

Mia said...

That is the coolest thing I have ever heard of! I am so jealous. You ROCK!! How cool to overcome your fear and try something new. And it seams way less scary than skydiving.

Maren and Dustin said...

Holy smokes, you are a total rock star Kasey! My hubby would never sign us up for something like this. Cool videos, for sure.

Sheree said...

I am sure that Agent Bristow takes trapeze lessons often, keep up the good work on your training. (Looks like fun)

Katie said...

That looked like so much fun! Great job, Kasey! It's only June, but I think you just secured the Wife of the Year award. Michael's a lucky, lucky man.