Wednesday, November 12, 2008

You Might Be a Redneck If....

To my complete and utter astonishment delight, Michael announced on Saturday that he was going to clean out the garage. This was without any nagging or pleading on my part. In short, this has never happened before.  




After my daughter waved smelling salts over my nose to revive me from my swoon, I picked myself up off the floor. I said to Michael, “Wow, the aliens really did a number on you this time. And I must say, it’s all good.”

Or not.
 
Instead, I praised him for his decision and wished him luck. Then I made a run for it. But I was too late.

As I was leaping up the stairs, two at a time, I heard his sweet little voice, “Kasey, could you help me?”

Well, that dampened the excitement SLIGHTLY. I mean, the whole point of the “Honey-Do List” is for your honey to do them--and to do them while you are surfing the Web or taking a nap.

So we spent a few hours working together and talking. It wasn't too bad. And now our garage looks great. The front yard, however, is a different story.


Here's the Goodwill giveaway pile that's been sitting on the front porch for five days now: old gas cans, broken bike frame with useable components, leaky air mattress, window screens... Yep, real classy.


Michael also went through his fish tank equipment on Saturday. So of course where do you think all that stuff is now? 
Exactly. Right on the front lawn. But it gets better, believe me. Take a look at the next picture and see if you can guess what Michael used to clean his fish tank bins with. 

No, your eyes do not deceive you. That is in fact a toilet bowl brush that has been lying in my front yard all week. The front yard of the home that is currently on the market.  Here it is up close:

I don't make these things up people. I'm sure the HOA will be sending me a letter any day now. 

So here's my submission to Jeff Foxworthy:

If  you've got a toilet bowl brush in your front yard, you might be a redneck. 

6 comments:

Lena said...

Oh my goshl...kasey, I love you. I laughed the whole way through that. Plus, an added bonus...I happened upon an old blog of yours about Emma having diarrhea in the middle of the night and how well Michael handled it. Seriously, you need to submit that one to some magazine somewhere...it was hilarious and cleverly written. Loved it

Brooke said...

Sorry about the front yard. But hey, at least your garage is clean! :-) Why is your house on the market? I didn't know about that.

Mia said...

That is too funny! But um it is a start right?!?! I am sure the new owners will insist on keeping the toilet bowl brush in the contract ;)

Bry n Dani Family said...

That is so funny! I bet its nice having a clean garage though. Somehow we've got to teach our husbands that a honey-do list isn't a do-with-your-honey list. My husband has me help him a lot and likes to leave the clean up for another day too. I guess it's worth the clean garage and the time together;)

Jamie Martin said...

I love it! I needed a laugh today- thanks, Kasey.

Kathy said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!! Well you are definitely in good company. My husband's idea of cleaning is to stick everything in his way into tubs just like you have and then stack them somewhere for me to go through. And then he wants me to praise him for cleaning! Kase...remember the good old days when the stork was going to bring us (you) our children and we were going to have maids because our husbands would be so rich they could afford this and your mom would tell us our standards were too high? What happened to our goals????!!!!!!!