Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Halloween Costumes

Here's what Halloween looked like at our house this year:



Emma wanted to be Ariel from The Little Mermaid. Evan looked through the pattern books and chose the musketeer costume, basing his choice on how cool of a weapon he'd get to brandish. Naturally. 

But as I was working on the costumes, I decided I couldn't do just one musketeer costume. No one would get that.  And I needed a costume for Isaiah. And Michael had been complaining that I never sew anything for him. You can see where this type of thinking led me. Yes, it got a little out of control... three musketeer costumes. Am I crazy? Yes!

I did have to cheat a little bit, and all I can say is, "Hallelujah for cheating!" I found old white shirts for the boys and cut off the collars and sleeves so I wouldn't have to make the shirts from scratch. I just added on the new silky sleeves and collars and voila! (Well, not exactly voila. Those things still took forever and I did have to rip out a sleeve after sewing it on upside down.)

For Michael, I picked out what I thought was one of his old golf shirts. Michael has dozens of golf shirts. He gets them at conferences.  He has hand-me-downs from his dad. He gets them as Christmas and work gifts. Like he's going to miss one golf shirt. Ok, so how was I to know this was his favorite golf shirt? Or that Pecan Valley Golf Club is so swanky?

I like to think I just made it better. Check it out below. I love the lace on the cuff, don't you?


I mean, you could totally still wear it golfing. It's just a little fancier, that's all. I think Michael should save it for those very special golf games with clients he's trying to impress. I'm sure they would be that much more likely to do business with him, right?

Maybe not.

6 comments:

Mia said...

The thought of Michael wearing that on the golf course with clients was too funny! The costumes were great and I am of course still in awe of your amazing skills. The kids look fantastic in their costumes.

Bry n Dani Family said...

I am so impressed...by your creativity as much as your sewing skills. How fun! They look really great!

anna and wells said...

You did such a great job on the costumes. Everyone looks great. It looks like really hard work, when do you find the time.

Maren and Dustin said...

Awesome! (Sounds like something I would do...take my husbands favorite shirt and 'improve' it!) That's so funny, I had a friend in Utah who dressed her 3 boys as the 3 musketeers too! Way to improvise with a pattern- that shows serious skills!

Kristi said...

I love the fancy shirt and your creativity! Kasey--one day I hope to be as nice of a mother as you! The costumes look awesome. Can you make our family's costumes next year?! :)

Lena said...

Tell Michael taht real men aren't afraid of wearing a little lace on the golf course. In fact, they relish it!