Friday, December 12, 2008

Musings on Men in Tights


I took Emma to the Austin Children's Nutcracker tonight.  It's performed at the Dougherty Arts Center, which is a really small venue.  Most of the show is put on by kids in high school or younger with a couple of adult guest artists. It was perfect for taking a 6-year-old.  She was so excited to go and it was really nice to spend some time together, just the two of us.

That girl is a talker though.  She kept whispering comments and questions throughout the performance. Her funniest question, which she asked again while we were driving home, was, "Mommy, why was that guy wearing tights?" 

Obviously, this was Emma's first exposure to men in tights. In her mind, only girls wear tights, just like only girls wear nail polish and makeup.  What was this man who was older than her daddy for goodness sake doing dancing around on the stage in white tights? Why didn't he put some pants on?

I tried explaining that that's just how it works in the ballet world and that tights probably help with freedom of movement. Emma wasn't having any of it.

Really though, she has a point. It's kind of like one of those moments when you're talking to someone who has parsley in their teeth or a zit on their chin and you're trying your best to look at them without looking at the offending item but you feel really awkward and uncomfortable because you're trying so hard to pretend you don't notice. 

And honestly, white tights? Is that necessary?

I'm sure somebody somewhere finds white tighties attractive, right? Like the costume director, perhaps?  Anyone else? Bueller?  Bueller?

As for myself, if I could call in the costume choices,  I think I'd go with more of the three-piece look:

Oh yeah. You knew I'd find a way to work a picture of James Bond back onto my blog. Now I know you're thinking that tights are necessary for all of the pirouettes and grand jetes and that a suit just wouldn't translate to the stage. However, have you seen all of the butt Bond kicks while wearing these duds? There's some serious athleticism going on to rival any fancy ballet moves. And he gets it all done without any rips in his seams and while looking fabulous the whole time. 

Just a suggestion. It might improve ticket sales.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I am with you on the tights thing. Now I danced for years, and as foul as I find the whole men in tights thing, I do get it, but I mean come on! Ewwwwwwweeee! They can move just as well in loose pants! Of course you can't see the movement and shaping as well in anything other than tights...... But my thoughts are....there is more than movement showing in those tights that I just don't wanna see!!

Lena said...

I kinda like tights. I mean, where else can you study the complete anatomy of a man's genitalia without being called a pervert? Besides, I bet that some of them have complexes about being "girly" since they participate in ballet (not saying that I think they are girly, just that other, more ignorant people might have teased them about being girly) and so tights are an easy way for them to prove to the world that they have the "entire package".

Um...we will be there the tuesday after Christmas until Sunday. We HAVE to get together! It ALMOST makes it okay that we didn't go to Austin! HURRAY!!!

Mia said...

You crack me up! And so does Lena...