Friday, December 19, 2008

Star Wars Sports Allegiances

There are two things that my kids are crazy about these days. The first is Star Wars. We showed them the original episodes this year and boy, are they hooked. They now ask to watch them all the time. And with at least three light sabers at our house, constant battles between the good and dark side of the force are inevitable. Additionally, the color green is now considered good (that's the color of Luke's light saber) and red is bad (Darth Vader's light saber color).

The second thing that my kids love is University of Texas football. Since we've been in Austin, Michael has become a Longhorns fan. Emma especially has followed suit and is a fiercely loyal and rabid fan. And as befits a Texas fan, anything Oklahoma is verboten.

My dad loves to tease the kids and has found that calling them up and singing, "Oklahoma is ok" gets a reaction real quick.

These kids work themselves up into a frenzy shouting into the phone, "Oklahoma is not ok! Oklahoma is not ok!"

I think the whole Texas loyalty thing is fun, but I did start to become concerned when the kids were completely clueless about my alma mater, BYU.

BYU who? Hook 'em Horns man!

So I mentioned to my dad that we were going to have to do an indoctrination trip down to Provo this year and get them some BYU gear. He and my sister Becky concocted up some more fun to greet the kids upon their arrival to Utah for Christmas.

Here are the Star Wars pictures Becky "found" to show the kids. I just had to share.

This one is my personal favorite:

This next picture was a nod to my parents, who are both Utes. I love them anyway.


Michael told me I must tell La Nan that this next one is copyrighted. :>

And here's the final classic. The kids were foaming at the mouth when they saw this one.

Emma was pretty quick though on the comeback for the Darth Vader picture. After protesting up and down that this picture was NEVER in the movie, she finally said, "Well, that was when he turned back to the good side."

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Oh my!!!! Those picturees are Hah-larious. Very, very clever. Thanks for the laugh (as always)

Wendy said...

That's hilarious! Don't you love how the kids can be brainwashed at such a young age?? I guess you better start sneaking in some blue into their wardrobe if you ever want any hope of BYU being in their future!