Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Can You Teach an Old Dog New Tricks?


I really don't think you can teach an old dog new tricks. Old dog, being me. The ideal Kasey is this: wakes up every morning at 5:30 a.m. to run 5 miles, does yoga, has meaningful personal scripture study, showers, puts makeup on, does her hair, and then is ready to have family scripture reading with family while serving them a nutritious breakfast. Ideal Kasey also still weighs 115 pounds because she runs 5 miles every day and doesn't binge on carbohydrates, namely cookies and ice cream.

Yeah, right. Real Kasey sets her alarm for 6 every morning only to hit the snooze button constantly until her kids come to her bed around 8ish saying, "Mom, I'm hungry. I want to eat breakfast." Real Kasey then stumbles out of bed. She may get to the gym that morning and may shower, put some makeup on, but there are no guarantees about hair because hey, you can just pull it back in a ponytail and it will be fine. Right? Real Kasey thinks about reading her scriptures but does not always get to it. And real Kasey has never weighed 115 pounds since her junior year in high school.

Anyway, this is the recurring theme of my life. So when I suggested to Michael that I was just going to accept that I am not a morning person, he decided to become the bedtime nazi and enforce a 10 p.m.!! bedtime so I will be able to start waking up on time. Well, the first thing he said was that the Dalai Llama says to be honest with yourself...which led to some sort of suggestion that perhaps I'm just lazy. No maybe it was "we're just lazy." When that did not go over very well--as you may imagine--he then backtracked with," Well, actually I really just think you don't get any REM at night because you're such a light sleeper and always have to go to the bathroom."

Now you're probably saying, thanks, Kasey, for sharing. Please dont' share anymore. Ok, I'm wrapping it up.

We'll see how the bedtime enforcement goes but I'm just in a glass-is-half-empty mood. Maybe I will never be a morning person and maybe it's ok to have a little bit more of me to love than I would love.

5 comments:

LaNan said...

You are so dang funny! So I'm going to make you feel so much better about sleeping in....I woke up at 9am today! L-A-Z-Y!

Kristi said...

Kasey you really crack me up. I love your blog. Girl, sleep in. Sit around. Shower if you get to it. A bed time is a good idea, though. I'm a night girl like you. It's just hard when the kids are asleep and you get some time to yourself, I guess. Keep posting! I love it.

Kristi said...

That picture is funny, too. I guess it shouldn't be, but it just is.

Unknown said...

girl, at least you TRY and get up. i have an 8am policy. my kids can wander in and out all they want (although i prefer that they stay in their rooms!) but i don't get up until 8! :) thanks for your comment on my blog. sounds like we need to get our dramatic girls together. if we could just make it thru one day without hysterical crying. that's all i ask. we were so close today...but at 6pm the bawling set in and didn't stop until she was in bed. GIRLS!

Holly O. said...

You don't know me but I found my way to your blog from Kristi's. This post seriously made me laugh. I am a morning person, am always up by about 6:30. Good Holly would use that time to hit the treadmill or scripture study or something like that. Real Holly gets on her laptop and starts checking email, checking blogs, etc. Good Holly and Real Holly are not the same person.