Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Dr. Seuss is My Kindred Spirit!

I don't remember my mom reading many Dr. Seuss books to me when I was young. But as I've read Dr. Seuss to my own children, I've really come to love his stuff. Not only are his books fun to read aloud but some of them teach really good lessons....take The Sneetches or Today is Your Day. Also he writes the kind of silly, goofy poetry that I find particularly funny.

Anyway, I just discovered a new favorite: What Was I Scared of? Here is an excerpt for your reading pleasure:

I yelled for help. I screamed. I shrieked.
I howled. I yowled. I cried,
"Oh, save me from these pale green pants
With nobody inside!"

But then a strange thing happened.
Why, those pants began to cry!
Those pants began to tremble.
They were just as scared as I!

I put my arm around their waist
And sat right down beside them.
I calmed them down.
Poor empty pants
With nobody inside them.

I think I may find this story about pale green pants with nobody inside them unusually funny because they remind me of something my roomie and I did when we were young and silly (in college, of course). We stuffed a pair of unclaimed pants and had them sticking out of a garbage can with their legs in the air. Just to see people's reactions as they walked through the apartment complex.

Guess you had to be there.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

that's freakin' hilarious! sounds like something i'd do. and mush less disturbing than some of the "gags" my college roomies pulled! (if holly reads this, she will agree!)

Unknown said...

ps - love the new look of the blog! looks great!

LaNan said...

I know that roommate you speak of couldn't be TINA! She scared me a little.

Kasey said...

No, not Tina. She was too serious to do something like that. It was Shelley, but I think that was my junior year so I don't think you would have known her.

Kristi said...

That sounds like a cute book--I'm going to have to check out some more Dr. Suess. I like your new blog colors/look! Wee-woo!

Kristi said...

Hey, I have a question. How did you get you columns in your blog to be so wide, rather than squished like mine? I like it a lot.

Hayley said...

i agree, the blog looks mighty fine. and i love dr seuss too. every year, we celebrate his birthday and spend a whole week reading all of his books. we have guest readers come to school and read & i love it cause you have to be pretty fluent to read him smoothly. some people, like local government officials, stumble like crazy over his books. sometimes 2nd grade teachers do, too. but that book, among many is great. my favorite "oh the places you'll go" - ok, favorite in the sentimental line. maybe not overall fav.

Heather said...

I love reading Dr. Seuss to my kids, such fun books. Your blog looks great.

Kristen said...

That book has been a favorite of mine for a long time. The lines you put in are my favorite part too - I can barely get through them without laughing sometimes. What kind of twisted genius comes up with a story about pants to teach tolerance??? I love it.